A Guide To Centrelink When Relocating
If there’s one thing that moving needs, it’s checklists. But, as well as making sure that all your bits and pieces are safely packed away, there is a fair amount of address-change work that needs to be done as well. Not just for correspondence, but for important and mandatory things as well.
If you are receiving payments from Centrelink for Job Seeker Allowance, Age or Disability Pension, Youth Allowance or any other related payments, you’re going to want to keep your contact details up to date.
This will ensure that your support will keep coming as expected and that any correspondence reaches the right place – otherwise you risk a delay in payment, or that your personal information falls into the wrong hands.
To action a Centrelink change of address, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
Your Centrelink Address Change Made Easy
When moving house, it’s mandatory that you let Medicare know about your change of address. Also, this cannot be done online, so you’ll have to do it in person at one of the many service centres that can be found throughout the country.
To find your nearest one, simply type in your location + ‘Medicare’ into a search engine and select one in your vicinity.
If you live in the countryside or a remote area and cannot easily get to one of the service centres, you may be permitted to send your forms and document scans to them via email, fax or even regular mail. If this is the case for you, please get in touch with one of Medicare’s representatives to be certain that you’ll be able to do this.
Documents Needed To Change Your Medicare Address
- Start by logging into Centrelink’s Online Services with your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. If you can’t remember your password, go ahead and request it to your registered email address.
- Once you’ve accessed the account area, take your mouse pointer and hover it over the tab to the left (third from the top) which is titled as ‘personal details’.
- When hovered above ‘personal details’, a dropdown menu should appear with a number of options. Choose the option to ‘view/update address, accommodation or contact details’.
- Upon clicking the above option, you’ll be shown a number of terms and conditions. After reading and understanding these, go ahead and click ‘start now’ at the bottom of the text.
- You’ll then be taken to a screen with a number of different options. To change your Centrelink registered address, click ‘update’ which can be found at the end of the page.
- Next, tick the box that is shown next to the listed address. If you want to change your phone number or any other personal details, you can check those boxes too. Once done, click ‘continue’ to proceed.
- Next, you’ll be shown a couple of questions designed to help guide you to the next step. Put your answers in and hit ‘continue’.
- You’ll then be shown a number of options such as ‘moved to new address’ or ‘want to correct current home address’ and so on. Choose the one that’s most suitable for your needs and press ‘continue’.
- In this final step, fill in your new address information and submit the form. You should then get an email confirming the address change.
And, that’s it! If you run into any problems or have any questions, we suggest getting in touch with Centrelink directly who’ll be able to help you.
Related Change of Address Articles
Need More Information?
We have lots of resources here at ZOOM to help you with your move. Pick from any of the down below to help you make your move as stress-free as possible;
- Back to Change Of Address Checklist
- Our blog is a good place to start
- Check out our moving checklist
- How to move a fridge
- Interstate Moving Costs
- Tips on how to avoid the challenges of moving interstate
- Removal Costs Calculator
- Why not use ZOOM for your interstate move?