Australian Electoral Commission

How To Change Your Address With The AEC

There are many who would agree that voting is both a civic duty and a privilege – and like most other aspects of your life during a move, you’ll need to let the relevant authorities know that you’re in a new location or have changed other details about yourself.

For when the voting season is on, you’ll need to make sure that all of your details are correct or risk not being able to partake.

Luckily, changing your address with the AEC is simple, so read our guide below and be ready for when election day comes around again.

The Basics

After moving, you will be able to enrol at your new address on the condition that you have resided there for at least one calendar month. Other requirements include:

• You being an Australian citizen, or an eligible British subject (Information on eligibility.)
• You are over 18 years old. If you are 16 or 17, you can still enrol to be ready for when you turn 18
• You have lived at your current registered address for at least one month

What You’ll Need When Changing Your Address With The AEC

Please note that proof of age cards are not accepted.

Special-Case Enrolment

Special-case enrolment

If you are under more unique circumstances and are looking for information on enrolment, you can find all the information on the official website for:

For all other information and to fill in your form, you can find the main page here at


Checking Your Current Status

If you’re not sure where you stand on your details within the electoral enrolment, you can visit Once you’re on the page, you’ll need to enter your current details, and if they are an exact match for what’s on the system, your status will be reported to you.

If for whatever reason you cannot confirm your status, this does not necessarily mean that you’re not on the system. It is recommended that you contact the AEC who will investigate further and confirm your details.

Please not that if you have recently updated or completed an enrolment form, it will take a few days for the AEC to receive and process the information before updating the electoral roll. If this applies to you, you can check the progress of your enrolment by entering the receipt number that you have been given.


Further Questions

The information above should give you everything you need to change your address with the AEC – but, of course individual circumstances can make things more complicated. If any of the details above do not apply to you and you have some questions, please get in direct contact with the AEC who will be able to advise you on your individual needs.


And, that’s it! If you run into any problems or have any questions, we suggest getting in touch with the AEC directly who’ll be able to help you.

Related Change of Address Articles

Need More Information?

We have lots of resources here at ZOOM to help you with your move. Pick from any of the down below to help you make your move as stress-free as possible;

And, as always, if you have any questions about moving interstate and how we can help you, simply call us or use our contact us page


It appears you're using an old version of Internet Explorer for safer and optimum browsing experience please upgrade your browser.