Planning for a move takes time and in a perfect world, you’d have plenty of time in advance to get everything just right but, as we know sometimes unexpected things happen and you might have to move quicker than you thought.
Generally, a move takes up to a month to plan and pull off, but if you find yourself in a sudden hurry, here are some last-minute moving tips to help you out when in a pinch.
- 1 1. Start at the beginning.
- 2 2. Put your plan together
- 3 3. It’s more than boxes
- 4 4. Get rid of the things you don’t need.
- 5 5. Get help with the larger items
- 6 6. Set up a packing station
- 7 7. Bag up valuables
- 8 8. Pack quickly
- 9 9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- 10 10. Let the pros handle it. Last Minute Removals With ZOOM
1. Start at the beginning.
Once you start looking at things, you’ll realise there’s a lot to do in a short amount of time.
Take a deep breath, take a step back and put together a list. The first thing you’ll need to do is sort out your moving company, and any extra help you may be needing.
Even though you may be moving in a hurry, call your preferred moving company as soon as possible so that they can allocate the time for you.
It’s also worth mentioning that you’re in a hurry so that they can know what additional services they can offer you to make it easier.
2. Put your plan together
Now that your moving truck and company are sorted, it’s time to put together a more detailed list.
You may feel tempted to skip this and just get started, but trust us – it’ll help keep things in order. Feel free to use our moving checklist to help you define your steps and what you need to do.
When putting together your ‘moving in a hurry checklist’, make sure to put things in order of priority. You’ll likely want to avoid the more difficult things as much as possible, but these should go first.
3. It’s more than boxes
Packing is a huge part of moving, but what people easily forget when in a hurry is the administrative side of things. Some of these can take some time to arrange, so the sooner you can get the quick wins, the better.
- Utilities – Cancelling the utilities in your current residence and activating them at the new one can take time and cost more than it needs to. Make sure that you have water, power, and Internet for when you arrive!
- Schools – If you’re moving with kids, you’ll need to sort out their schools as soon as possible to avoid complications.
- Medical records – You’ll need to find a new doctor and dentist if you’re relocating out of the region. Make sure you have your medical and dental records before you go.
- Pet owners should also gather their pet’s medical records from the doctor.
4. Get rid of the things you don’t need.
The fewer items you have to pack, the easier it will be to pack. And when it comes to a last-minute move, convenience is crucial!
- Remove stuff you no longer desire or need from each room, closet, and cupboard in your home or apartment.
- Sort these goods into one of three piles: give, recycle, or discard.
- Consider practicality rather than romanticism. Relocation is an excellent opportunity to pare down your belongings, and a rushed move provides even more motivation to travel light.
- Avoid the temptation to just pack everything in the hopes of getting rid of it after you’ve settled into your new house.
It’s far easier to organize these goods ahead of time so you can focus on the important things!
5. Get help with the larger items
If you’re in a real rush hiring a junk removal company can help you with larger and more difficult items.
They will handle all trash for you, donate what they can to local charities and generally make things a lot easier.
Companies like this will have their fees, so it’s best to not depend on them unless you have plenty of budget at your disposal.
6. Set up a packing station
When you need to relocate quickly, you don’t have time to waste looking for bubble wrap or scissors. By creating a packing station with the following items, you can save precious time and effort.
Things you’ll need include:
• Packing paper
• Packing tape
• Old towels and blankets
• Bubble wrap
• Color-coded stickers
• Plastic bags
7. Bag up valuables
It’s easy to lose track of certain things when while packing. Before you get into it, gather up all of your most prized, important and valuable possessions and put them into one specific bag. This can include important paperwork, medication, devices and sentimental items.
Pack up a secondary bag for things you’ll need for the short term such as clothes, toiletries and chargers.
8. Pack quickly
If time is against you, you’ll have to sacrifice some efficiency for pure speed.
Here are some quick wins if you’re really in a pinch:
- Sort it out later: Never mind having a theme or an organized box. If time is super short, just pack things as carefully as you can without sorting them first. This can save you a lot of time but will make things a little more difficult on the other side. But, it’s a great strategy when you’re really against it.
- Clothes as wrapping: breakable things like vases and glassware in soft items like socks, towels, and clothing that you’ll need to carry anyway. You’ll also save money on packing materials by doing this.
- Pack clothes as you see them : By packing your clothing as they are, you will save a lot of time and boxes. Wrap a heavy waste bag over garments hanging in the closet, starting at the bottom and attaching the bag’s threads around the hangers. Keep dresser drawers intact by simply removing each drawer and wrapping it in packing materials, or if possible, keep the complete dresser if it is not too heavy.
9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Moving is a huge undertaking, especially when it must be completed fast, and it’s perfectly acceptable to enlist the assistance of friends or relatives.
Having one or more assistance may aid you in staying on track and prioritizing, as well as getting the task done faster. Just be sure to have plenty of beers and snacks on hand as you all get down to work.
10. Let the pros handle it. Last Minute Removals With ZOOM
We hope that these last-minute moving tips have been helpful, but remember: There’s no need to stress if you’re in a rush to move.
ZOOM offers industry leading last minutes removals at a moments notice.
Regardless of distance, we can help with Sydney Removals, Country Removals and Interstate moves.
Give our expert team a call and they’ll be right there to help you out, from packing and loading through to transport and unloading.
We’ll even supply you with as many free moving boxes as you need!
Make your life easier and let us take care of it all for you. Start by giving us a call on 1300 788 164 or fill out our moving contact form and get your removalist quote.