The Only Checklist You’ll Need for Your Interstate Removal
Though your upcoming interstate removal seems like a herculean task, a simple checklist can make your life so much easier, according to our team of experienced interstate removalists.
Take Things One Step at a Time for an Easy Move
Cross off each item as you complete it, and you’ll breathe a sigh of relief with each task done. Here’s the only checklist you’ll need for your upcoming interstate removal:
- Book your removal date and time.
- Purchase extra insurance to cover the removal process.
- Call your utility companies—including cable or satellite providers, electrical service, garbage pickup, natural gas provider—to cancel your current service.
- Sign up for needed utility services at your new location.
- Get referrals from your current providers for medical and veterinary care providers near your new home.
- Order medical and veterinary records for your family and your pets to keep with you as you travel.
- Collect school records for your children or have them transferred to your kids’ new school
- Have all your prescriptions filled and carry them with you.
- Make sure you have all of the equipment necessary to travel with young children and pets: crates, food, and water for your pets; water bottles, diaper-changing supplies, and baby food for young children.
- Arrange a sitter for young children and pets on moving day.
- Transfer your banking accounts to ones in your new city. If you have a safe-deposit box, empty it, cancel the service, and carry it with you when you travel.
- Dispose of any flammable or hazardous materials before you leave.
- Moisten the soil around your indoor plants before you pack. Don’t overwater, or you’ll risk spilling water on other items.
- Back up all the files on your computers. Pack all your electronic equipment in sturdy cases to protect it.
- Drain all the fuel from your lawn care equipment.
- Drain your garden hoses.
- Have your vehicle serviced before you start. Make sure your vehicle insurance is up to date and with you.
- Pack several clear plastic containers with essential items you’ll need immediately when you arrive: basic cleaning products and equipment, a few days’ clothing, toiletries, dental care products, pet food, bottled drinking water, easy-prepare foods, bedding, and toilet paper
- Before the removalists take all your belongings, do a last-minute check throughout your home, looking in closets, drawers, cabinets, your garage, and your basement.
- Turn off all the appliances and lights and lock up your former home.
Save Even More Time with Pre-Packing
Though an interstate removal involves a lot of preparation, you’ll discover it’s not as daunting as you thought when you work your way through your checklist. To save even more time, take advantage of Zoom Removals’ pre-packing service. With our help, you’ll be able to spend more time with your family and friends as you prepare to say your goodbyes.