Moving House? Save Money with These Tips
Done wrong, moving house can be a huge drain on the pocketbook. Done right, you can shave off quite a bit of cash simply by following these money-saving tips from the low-cost, high-quality removalists at Zoom Removals.
With Removals, Time Equals Money
At Zoom Removals, we charge by half-hour increments. Most removalists do the same. The more you can do yourself (such as moving smaller boxes), the better. Usually.
- Factor in your hourly rate of pay: If however, your job pays more per hour than your time’s worth in packing and moving, it’s best to continue to work and let the removalists handle the moving. At Zoom Removals, we even have a pre-packing service that can save you even more time, so you won’t have to take valuable time off work.
- Consider unloading your little-used items: The more we have to move, the more we’ll have to charge. If you have a lot of items that either won’t work well in your new home or you’ll probably never use, donate them or sell them on Gumtree or hold a garage sale. If you can strip down to just a few pieces of furniture, you may qualify for a huge price drop on your removal.
- Make things easy for the removalists: If you find the best parking spot for the removalists before they arrive, they won’t have to waste their time—and your dollars—hunting for a spot. Scout out the best spots to move larger items in and out, too. If you have time, disassemble furniture and electronics, remembering to take pictures of the proper assembly before you do.
Take All the Freebies You Can Get
Boxes from the supermarket and your neighbours may not cost a penny, but they may fall apart under a load they weren’t designed to carry. Also, the time and petrol you’ll spend going from store to store will factor into your decision. Many removalists provide free moving boxes designed especially for moving, so they’re perfect for whatever you need them to hold.
If your neighbours pitch in to help, don’t turn them down. Feed them a hearty meal, and they’ll be back to help the next day.
Compare Prices on Removalists
- Get the best price possible: Don’t settle for the first removalist that pops up on your Internet search. Call around to get the best price. Some removalists have a price-beating offer: if you find a removalist who will do it for less, they will beat that price. Again, it never hurts to ask.
- Go cheap, but not shady: Be sure, though, that a cheap removalist is no fly-by-night rip-off artist. Make sure that the one you choose is an AFRA (Australian Furniture Removalists Association) member to ensure your move will be a secure one, backed by the moving organisation’s sterling reputation.
- Look for special deals: Finally, look for removalists that give you a discount if you move on low-traffic days, usually in the middle of the week. Moving on non-peak days can pay off, provided you don’t lose valuable work time to do so.
When you’re ready to move, be sure to contact the expert team at Zoom Removals to check out all their time- and money-saving services. Book your move today!