Moving? Ditch the Stress and Enjoy the Ride
Settled in her career and in her current home, psychologist Barbara Markway had to put the stress-reduction techniques she uses in her practice to use when her husband received a job transfer to a distant city. Here are some of her stress-busting tips, together with a few from the expert removalists at Zoom Removals.
Start Planning Early On
- Research the best removalist for your needs: As soon as you know you have to move out of town, research local removalists. Look for those approved by the Australian Furniture Removers Association to make sure that your removalists follow the industry’s best practices. Hire your removalist early in the process.
- Pack what you don’t need now right away: This saves time and worry. Label everything with the room it will go in at its new location.
- Allot double the time for packing than you think you’ll need: As Markway points out, you probably have more belongings than you think. Doubling your estimate will give you the time you need to pack effectively.
Take Care of Yourself
- Give yourself a sanctuary: Set aside a room to leave intact until just before you leave. Surrounding yourself with familiar, favourite objects gives you a sanctuary amid the chaos of change, says Markway. In fact, have the removalists set these belongings at the back of the truck so you can set up a serene space in your new home as well.
- Participate in favourite activities: Exercise, whether walking or another activity, is a great stress-reducer. Keep up with your hobbies. They, too, keep you in a familiar pattern that helps to relieve the stress of moving.
- Lose the guilt and the blaming: Moving makes people a bit cranky at times. Forgive yourself and others for occasional mood swings.
- Allow others to help you: Neighbours, friends, and family can be lifesavers at moving time. Delegate other tasks to professionals. Hire a pet sitter or child care worker to take some of the stress off your shoulders. Consider paying a bit more for your removalists to pack your things for you. Instead of spending time looking for boxes, take advantage of your removalist’s free boxes and low-cost packing supplies.
Look Forward to the New Location
Investigate all the amenities your new location offers. Make a list of those activities you want to do there. That way, you’ll reframe your move as an adventure—even a holiday!
Tie Up Loose Ends
- Store important documents in a central location: Keep these—and your most treasured possessions—with you during the move.
- Say your goodbyes: Don’t forget those people who mean the most to you. Get contact information so you can keep in touch, no matter how far away you move.
For more tips on no-stress moving, contact the expert removalists at Zoom Removals. Book your removal today.