Don’t Procrastinate: Organise Your Move with This Easy Moving Checklist
Your mum always told you: never procrastinate. But when it comes to your upcoming home furniture removal, you feel helpless, stressed-out—even overwhelmed. Mum’s advice falls by the wayside as you look at the mountain of to-do’s. Don’t give in to the urge to put things off. Here’s an easy-peasy moving checklist that will make your upcoming move to your new location a rousing success.
Two Months Before the Move
- If you haven’t found a new home yet, step up your search. You don’t want to end up living in a hotel until you find a home.
- Go through all your belongings to choose what you’ll take with you to your new location.
- Research removalists in your area. Be sure that the removalists you consider are approved by the Australian Furniture Removers Association (AFRA) to avoid removal scams and to ensure the highest quality service. Copy this URL into a browser of your choice to see.
Six Weeks Before the Move
- Set a budget for your upcoming home or office Removals Services.
- Limit your list of possible removalists and get estimates from each.
- Send notices of your planned move to doctors, employers, veterinarians, schools, banks, and other important institutions. If you know your new address, provide it too.
- Find healthcare providers, veterinarians, dentists, schools, and stores in your new neighbourhood.
- Decide which removalist you want to hire and book the date.
One Month Before the Move
- Collect your family’s medical records, your children’s school records, and your pets’ veterinary records. Store them in a binder or other easy-to access organizer to take with you.
- If your pet needs to update his or her immunizations, make an appointment with your veterinarian.
- Clear out items you don’t want to take with you. Put all the items you want to donate to charity in one area, all of the items you want to give to neighbours, friends, or family in another place, all of the items you want to sell at a garage sale or online in another, and take the rest to the trash.
- Collect your packing supplies. Some removalists will provide boxes and other supplies for free. Begin packing the belongings you don’t use often, such as holiday decorations and off-season apparel.
Two Weeks Before the Move
- If you plan to drive to your new location, have your mechanic look over your cars before you go. If you plan to fly or take another form of transportation, book a ticket and make arrangements to ship your vehicles if you’re taking them to your new home.
- File a change of address with Australia Post.
- Make sure that your utility company will disconnect your service in your old home and that they will be turned on in your new home by the time you move in.
One Week Before the Move
- Double-check your reservation with your removalist.
- Give your new address to friends, neighbours, and family. Thank service providers who have rendered outstanding service over the years you’ve lived in your neighbourhood.
- Begin to pack the items you use more often.
- Create a special box or boxes of things you’ll need as soon as you arrive. Label it well, and make sure the removalists place it where it will be unpacked first.
- Hire caregivers to take care of your children, pets, or elderly family members on moving day.
- Make sure you have paid your bills and have returned items you’ve borrowed.
Two Days Before You Move
- Pack everything up—all but the things you’ll need to eat, wear and clean with during your last day in the current home.
- Clean and defrost the refrigerator. Make sure all appliances are dry and secure.
- Put all your legal papers and other important documents, as well as your valuables: coins, jewellery, and collectables in a safe carrier. Keep them with you during the removal process.
On Moving Day
- Get to bed early the night before.
- Set your alarm to wake up earlier than usual so you’ll not have to rush when the removalists arrive.
- Check your home to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.
- Have some fast food or other refreshments for yourself, your family, your removalists, and any neighbours or friends who are helping you.
- Give your removalists your mobile phone number. Double check to see if they have the correct address for your new home.
- Clean up after the removalists are on their way to your new home.
- Lock your old home and give the key to your real estate agent or neighbour.
Check out our free downloadable moving house checklist!
If you plan to move in the near future, call the removalists Sydney homeowners trust—Zoom Removals—today on 1300 788 165.